Friday, April 26, 2013

Why I Hate Computers, in a Nutshell


I need to know what version of Internet Explorer I'm using. So I search for "what version of IE am I using?" Bing leads me to this page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/which-version-am-i-using#ie=ie-9

It gives instructions on how to find out what version you're using: Go to Tools and then About Internet Explorer. I went to Tools and then I looked everywhere for something that says "About Internet Explorer." I couldn't find anything.

Then I noticed at the top of that page, it says these are the instructions for Internet Explorer 9. Other versions require different instructions -- for IE 10, I'm supposed to go to Settings and then About. OK, so apparently I was supposed to know what version I was using so that I could get the right instructions to find out what version I'm using. This is moronic.

Why make this different for each version? If there's one thing that should always be the same for each version, it's the method of finding the name of the version in the first place. I'm betting it worked perfectly fine to go to Tools and then About Internet Explorer. Has anyone's lives been enriched by changing that to Settings and then About? Or has it just wasted a whole lot of people's time learning the new location?

I understand that software has to keep improving. But most often, updates add nothing new for me except the irritation of having to relearn everything. It often seems like software companies just change stuff for the sake of changing it, so they can justify selling new updates.

Maybe there are some behind-the-scenes things in each update that make it run faster or whatever. Fine, sounds great. But be very sure that the changes to the interface are worth the trouble.

Grumpy old man rant complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment